Poker games are very popular today. The game is played by two or more players who bet against each other using cards. Players get dealt five cards face down, and then they decide whether to fold (stop playing) or call (continue play). If they choose to continue play, they reveal their hand and compare it to the hands of their opponents. The winner is determined by the poker hand rankings.
It is important to note that these games vary in the number of cards dealt, shared or “community” cards, the number of cards that remain hidden, and the betting procedures.
Several types of poker games, such as Texas Hold’em, Omaha Hi/Lo, Razz, Stud, etc., differ according to the betting structure. In Texas Hold’em, the player bets before he receives his cards. In Omaha Hi/Lo, the player makes a pre-flop raise followed by a post-flop re-raise. In Razz, the player raises after receiving three cards. And in Stud, the player raises only after receiving four cards.
In this post, we cover the top 10 poker games and the poker betting structure.
Top 10 Poker Games
Texas Hold’em is one of the most popular poker games because it’s easy to learn and play. It’s an exciting game that can be very profitable for players who know how to play it well.
The game’s objective is to make the best hand possible with the cards you’re dealt. The best hand is one with two cards of the same rank, three cards of different ranks, or four of the same rank. When all players have completed their hands, the player with the best hand is victorious.
- Easy to learn
- Tournaments can provide you with life-changing money.
- Most common game to play live
- It can sometimes be very risky
- Exhausting as tournaments can run for hours
In Omaha High poker, the best high hand wins the pot. Aces can be high or low. If a player has a two pair and the two pairs tie, the high card wins. If the high cards tie, then the next highest card wins.
- Lots of action because you make more hands
- A great way to practice for Texas Hold’em
- It needs a lot of patience since you have to wait for the right hand and fold.
In Seven-Card Stud, the highest hand at the end of the round wins the pot. Counting cards determine the best hand: Ace high, two through six low. During a turn, a player can keep that card or switch it out for another card from their hand if an ace is revealed.
- You can make some big pots.
- Tracking folded cards gives you an edge over your competitors.
- It can be hard to tell which player has the best hand since a high ace doesn’t always mean you have a strong hand.
Razz is a snowball game where players bet on the rank of the cards they are playing. Betting starts with players having the lowest poker hand. The objective is to have the lowest five-card hand at the end of the final round.
- You can make a lot of hands
- Razz is a fast-paced game that’s fun to play
- It can be hard to bluff since everyone knows the best hand
Omaha Hi-Lo is a variation of Omaha poker, one of the lesser-played variations of poker. Omaha Hi-Lo is often referred to as Omaha 8 or better because the low hand is only considered to be a good hand if the player has a hand that is eight cards or better.
The game aims to make as many hands as possible with aces high and other high cards.
- Require less practice due to a low average
- Few live games
- It can be difficult to learn for some people
2-7 Triple Draw
2-7 Triple Draw is a five-card poker game that typically reverses the value of hands. The best possible hand is 2-3-4-5-7, meaning the lowest hand wins.
- Fun to play
- Great for those who like mind games and bluffing
- Limited live games
The Five-Card Draw Poker is a draw poker game in which each player is dealt five cards face down. The player may then either raise, call, or fold. The first player to lose all their cards is out of the game, while the best high poker hand wins.
- Simple to learn and play.
- You can see the number of cards other players draw.
- Few live games
Chinese Poker is a four-people game in which players use a combination of hands with different ranks to win. It can also be played with 2 or 3 players.
- It’s beginner-friendly
- It has lots of action, making it simple and fun
- Only be played with fewer players
- It can be confusing due to many particularities
The HORSE is a mixed game representing five poker variations: Razz, Seven Card Stud Eight or Better (Hi-Lo), Seven Card Stud, Hold’em, and Omaha Hi-Lo.
This variation doesn’t have a Pot limit or No-limit game; each game is a fixed limit.
- Mixed games are more entertaining
- It has some of the best non-Holdem fixed limit games
- Not suitable for newbies
Badugi is a poker variant in which players get four cards dealt face down. This game is played by 2 to 8 players using a standard 52-card deck.
The goal is to get the lowest four-card hand possible to win the pot.
- Aggression and bluffing make the game more exciting
- There are few live Badugi games.
Betting structures and limits for poker games
The betting structures and limits determine how much you bet on each betting round. Here are some common poker betting limits.
- Fixed Limit: The total amount you can raise or bet is predetermined. There is a set limit.
- Pot limit: Mix of no and fixed limit. The limit on how much to bet will depend on the size of the spot.
- Cap limit: A cap limits the amount you can put in hand. It’s usually between 20 and 30.
- Spread limit: The idea here is a range limit, say $6 to $8, that you can use at your best.
- No limit: Has no limit to how much you can bet on each betting round.
Final Take on Poker Games
What is better; poker or blackjack?
Both poker and blackjack have their own set of benefits and drawbacks. But blackjack is better because it’s less dramatic.
What are mixed poker games?
Mixed poker games are games that use more than one poker variation. Some of the popular mixed games include HORSE and 8-Game Mix.
Which type of poker is best?
Texas Hold’em. It’s the most popular poker game and can be played with any number of players.